Roy Pedersen Memorial Scholarship
The North Thurston Education Foundation established a Pedersen Memorial Scholarship in memory of Dr. Roy Pedersen, former associate superintendent in North Thurston Public Schools, to recognize his vision and leadership in creating the Foundation. The scholarship will provide funds for North Thurston Public Schools graduates who will attend post-secondary schools, including vocational or trade schools, colleges or universities.
Annually, at least one $2,000 Roy Pedersen Memorial scholarship will be awarded to a graduating student in the district at large at the discretion of the Foundation Board.
- The applicant shall be a graduate from a high school in North Thurston Public Schools.
- The applicant shall have demonstrated skills necessary to succeed in the chosen post-secondary school.
- The applicant shall have demonstrated good citizenship and leadership qualities.
- The applicant shall have a need for financial assistance to meet educational goals.
To be considered for a Foundation Scholarship an applicant must:
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation: One from a teacher or counselor that documents scholarship, leadership and citizenship qualities and potential for success in post-high school education; and one from a member of the community who is not a relative of the applicant or employed in the applicant’s school describing the applicant’s leadership and community service in non-school related activity or activities in the community.
- Submit a short essay responding to a prescribed topic.
- Submit a transcript of grades
- Submit a completed application form and all required documents as one unit. If an on-line application is completed, this information should be noted in the packet. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Completed applications are to be submitted to the high school counseling or career centers or mailed to NTEF on or before the due date posted annually on www.ntef.org.
The NTEF Board of Trustees Scholarship Selection Committee reviews all applications and selects recipients. The selection process must comply with the nondiscrimination provision of the Bylaws, Article 11, Section 10.
Application forms may be obtained from the high school counselor’s office or by clicking on the button below.