Alex Ward Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship was established as a memorial to Alex Ward, whose career as a student in the North Thurston Public Schools began in kindergarten at South Bay Elementary, continued through Chinook Middle School and culminated at North Thurston High School. Alex was an outstanding athlete and a friend to all.
This scholarship may be used for any certified post-high school course of study, vocational or academic. The initial scholarship shall be for $2000. With evidence of success each year, the Alex Ward Memorial Scholarship is renewable for $1750 a year for three additional years, to total $7250.
- The recipient shall be a graduating senior from North Thurston High School.
- The recipient shall demonstrate financial need for the scholarship showing that absence of assistance would make post-high school training difficult or impossible.
- Primary consideration will be given to individuals who participated in sports while at NTHS and demonstrated good leadership qualities.
To be considered for a scholarship, the applicant must:
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation: one from a teacher, coach or counselor which documents scholarship, leadership and citizenship qualities and potential for success in post-high school education; and one from a member of the community who is not a relative of the applicant or employed in the applicant’s school describing the applicant’s leadership and community service in non-school related activity or activities in the community.
- Submit a short essay responding to this: How do you think your involvement with sports has helped you develop the qualities of leadership, self-discipline and decision-making necessary to be successful?
- Submit a transcript of grades.
- Submit a completed application form and all required documents as one unit. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Completed applications are to be submitted to the high school counselor or career center on or before the due date posted annually on www.ntef.org.
The Foundation Board of Trustees Selection Committee reviews all applications and selects recipients. The selection process must comply with the nondiscrimination provision of the Bylaws, Article 11, Section 10.
Application forms may be obtained from the high school counselor’s office or by clicking on the button below.